Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Spotlight > Spotlight on Prefects

Spotlight on Prefects

Reflections from a few of our student leaders
24 Jun 2022
Written by Claire Bunting
Spotlight
Campbell College Prefects 2022
Campbell College Prefects 2022

We recently asked our Prefects to reflect on thier time at Campbell and offer any advice they have to new students joining in September. A lot of our pupils were eager to share their expereince with you so we will be bringing you three posts in total. Today, we begin with our Head, Deputy Heads and Senior Prefects in Part 1 of this series. Parts 2 and 3 will follow next week.

Ollie (Alden’s) – Head Prefect

My time at Campbell has given me countless fond memories. My involvement in clubs and societies allowed me to go on many school trips, and it was on these trips that many of my favourite memories were made. A visit to Oxford University for a Model United Nations competition in Year 11 and an overnight stay before playing Clongowes Wood in Co. Kildare for the Medallion XV later that same year stand out in my mind, as well as ski trips in second and third year, and a volleyball tour to the Netherlands. However, it was simply time spent on the grounds with my friends that’s responsible for my best-loved memories. As I prepare to say goodbye to Campbell, I know it’s this that I’ll miss the most; it’s hard to imagine not walking the grounds and seeing the faces of the people I’ve formed such great relationships with on a daily basis anymore. My advice to pupils starting at Campbell in September is to stop and take it in every once in a while. It really is a special place and while starting a new school is of course daunting, I think it’s important to savour every moment, because seven years will be gone before you know it.

Tom (Allison’s) – Deputy Head Prefect

My time at Campbell has been so important for who I have become. I’ve been able to try so many things and meet new people. Campbell has always promoted my academic growth and fed my appetite to learn which I greatly appreciate. Aside from learning, I’m particularly fond of my time playing in the volleyball club. It pushed me physically and I made many new friends, as well as being able to go and compete. I also cherish my memories in the debating club and am really going to miss going to it during my lunches. My advice to anyone joining the school would be to really appreciate the time you have at the school. Each day seems to last for ages but now that I’m at the end it appears to have gone in a flash! Get involved in as much as you can and you’ll make friendships and memories that will last forever.

Henry (Aldens) - Deputy Head Prefect

My time at Campbell has had a massive impact on shaping who I am. On reflection, it strikes me how different my life might be if I had ended up at a school closer to home.

Life at Campbell is something I find hard to put into words but I will try. Campbell is a hub for cultures and people of all upbringings, a band of brothers whose bond only strengthens with time. It is a community of competition, drive and encouragement. Campbell is a place of education, a place of sport, a place of music and of drama. It is a place of laughter and knowledge, a place of significant events and place of friendship and perseverance, but most importantly... Campbell is home and one that I will miss immensely. I will even miss the small things, whether it is morning registration or kicking a football about at lunch, but what sets Campbell apart, and what I think I will miss most of all, is the sense of belonging. You gain such a strong relationship with the school and the people in it. I have developed lifelong friendships here and it seems so odd for me that all this has to come to an end and that I'll not be able to get my daily dose of College life. So many moments and experiences here will play on repeat in my head.

A Campbell education, or what I think would be more accurately described as a Campbell experience, it is 'sui generis', his for the taking. To all those Campbellions of future and of present make what you will of the time you have here for it is of extreme value. More specifically my advice is to throw yourselves into everything you can, you will not find yourselves short of opportunities here. Be kind to each other and be kind to your teachers and staff, you're most likely going to be stuck with them for the next 7 years, while some of them may seem grumpy you'll find they will always have your best interests at heart.

There is room for everyone at Campbell and you will find that once we set aside our differences you will always find a common sense of togetherness. To the staff, my friends and the whole wider college community,  I am grateful and appreciative for the time I have spent here. The College will remain engraved in my identity for the rest of my life. Ne Obliviscaris.  

Matthew Wilson (Dobbin’s) – Deputy Head Prefect

I remember walking in through the gates for the first time as a new Year 8 and being amazed by the Pipe Band upon entering. The first few weeks I remember being a bit daunted as I was finding my feet, but I just threw myself into everything and have loved every minute of my time at Campbell. I have so many favourite memories and funny stories which include serving at different functions with the Hospitality Department, having the honour of representing the College both locally and internationally, and performing with the Music Department in a wide variety of events and places.

At Campbell, I have been involved in many different clubs and activities. Music has been a significant part of my time at the College having played in the orchestra, jazz band, clarinet and woodwind group and also singing in the choir. I have had the honour of being the Pipe Major of the College Pipe Band over the last two years and have had so many opportunities to play with the Pipe Band, such as, at the Menin Gate in Belgium, Thiepval Memorial in France, the Ulster Hall, the Waterfront Hall, and in the SSE Arena. I am a member of the Combined Cadet Force through which I have had unique experiences and learnt new skills. I have also been involved in sports in school having been on the winning team for the Ulster Schools’ Hockey Tournament and part of the U15 Campbell Squash team which won the Ulster Squash Novice Schools competition. Another area of school life which I have really enjoyed is the drama and I have had the privilege of participating in four productions during my time at College which have been a lot of fun to practise and perform.

A highlight of my time at Campbell was playing at the Menin Gate Ceremony in Ypres, Belgium, as it brought together so many aspects of what has made my time at Campbell so memorable. I was playing with the Pipe Band which is synonymous with Campbell; there was the musical aspect which has meant so much to me at Campbell; Old Campbellians were laying wreathes and CCF was represented which reflects the Campbell Community; and there was the learning about the history and events of WWl and the sacrifice of Old Campbellians who served and died and were portrayed through Men Behind the Glass school drama production in which I acted.

I will miss so much about Campbell including the camaraderie in different clubs, all the activities and opportunities, the commitment of all the staff, and the sense of community. Campbell has inspired me to be the best that I can be in every respect including academia, sports and the creative arts but it has also prepared me for life and given me the confidence to engage in society. If I had to give one piece of advice to a new Year 8 joining Campbell it would be to get involved in everything that is available and to always try your best. My time at Campbell has provided me with many happy memories and, reflecting back, it has gone so quickly and I have loved every minute of it!

Luke (Alden’s) – Senior Prefect

During my time at Campbell, I was involved in the volleyball club & rugby club from first year right the way through to upper sixth. Volleyball and so many other clubs such as the debating club, drama club, CCF & many other sporting clubs are there for everyone to try out. I strongly recommend you join as many clubs & societies as possible because for me personally I have gotten so much out of all the extracurricular activities outside the school hours. I also advise taking part in as many house competitions as possible not only are they good craic it brings a different aspect of competitiveness to the school, being all boys.

As a member of the 1st XV one of my favourite memories of Campbell has got to be the school’s cup. Even though we lost the final sadly, the entire way through the competition the support from our classmates and the brotherhood shown by the school was breath-taking. Looking up to the stand at Kingspan after the final defined Campbell for me. Every single person in that stand, whether they didn’t know a thing about rugby, weren’t sporty in anyway or are originally from the other side of the world, were in it together. What I think is great about Campbell is that everybody has each other’s back, and the school community is one.

One of the things I am deeply going to miss about Campbell is driving up the driveway into school. The facilities at Campbell are like no other school. The advice I would give to pupils joining in September would be to get involved in as many extracurricular activities as possible, don’t be shy and put yourself forward and most importantly enjoy every moment of your time at the school.

Finn (Price’s) – Senior Prefect

I have really enjoyed my seven years at Campbell. I have made great friends here and benefited from the range of activities and facilities that the school has offered, such as debating and using the school gym . My favourite school trip was the year 10 battlefields trip, where we went to see war graves in Belgium and France. I enjoyed it as I went with a group of friends from my year and we participated in activities like walking through restored trenches while also having some free time in the afternoon for us to do our own thing. What I’ll miss most about Campbell is the grounds themselves and all the people I have met during my time here. Finally, my advice to any new Year 8 pupil would be to get involved in as much as possible!

Similar stories

Connor and Reese coaching hockey in our Junior School

A conversation with our 'Gappies' More...

A perspective on life at Campbell, from our Junior Boarders More...

Campbell Prefects 2023

Reflections from our Prefects on their time at Campbell More...

The heart of school life at Campbell More...

A conversation with our Digital Technology students about their experience of the Campbell ICT programme. More...

Most read

A final update from Michael Johnston (6875), Johnston Houston and Mark Hanna, Mascott Construction as they hand over the keys to CCB's state-of-the-ar… More...

As we near completion of Phase1 of the redevelopment of the CCB Sports Buildings, Old Campbellian and Partner at Johnston Houston - Michael Johnston (… More...

A celebration for the 1st XV

Congratulations to our 1st XV for becoming the 2024 Danske Bank Subsidiary Shield winners! More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech