Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Spotlight > Spotlight on Prefects - Part III

Spotlight on Prefects - Part III

Some final reflections from our Prefects who look back on their time at Campbell
28 Jun 2022
Written by Claire Bunting
Spotlight
Prefects: Class of 2022
Prefects: Class of 2022

Today, we conclude our Spotlight on Prefects. Thank you to all the pupils who took time to share their thoughts and experiences with us. We are very proud of all that you have achieved and thank you for all your support of the school.

Peter (Yates’s) - Prefect

I am leaving Campbell after 7 very happy years, full of gratitude for the friendship, direction and support of my fellow students, the teaching staff and the wider school family.

I came to Campbell a little unsure of what to expect. I had a passion for music, art and sport and I was able to further all of these in my time at CCB. I will never forget the occasion 7 years after walking in through the gate that I ran out onto Foxes Field with the 1st XV to the sound of the school band and the cheering spectators from the Black Brigade and the rest of the Campbell College family. I will always treasure the messages of support from past Campbellians and the incredible “Campbell’s Call” prepared and performed by the staff and pupils. For me this epitomised the spirit of Campbell and how the school pulls together in times of enjoyment and challenge.

Part of my time at CCB was during the pandemic and I will be for ever grateful to the school and staff for all of their endeavours in moving online and in trying to bring some normality at this time. Despite all of these efforts, I never thought that I would be so glad to get back to school.

Campbell gave me the opportunity to visit Dublin, Paris, Berlin and even Portrush ! In the house competitions, I represented Yates in events from art to golf, volleyball to technology – what a range!

And now I find myself leaving, again a little unsure of what comes next, but with happy memories of a school that educated me, challenged me, directed me and gave me opportunities to grow as a person. I have so much more that I could say. Campbell is a fantastic place to go to school and I look forward to taking the skills and talents that I learnt here to my next chapter, whatever it may be.

Jack (Davis’s) – Prefect

One of my favourite school memories is attending the History Battlefields trip where we visited key battlefields from World War One in Belgium and France. While there we not only learned more about the history of these places and the events that occurred but we also had opportunities to explore and visit certain towns and attractions such as Ypres.

While at Campbell my main aspect of participation was in the school Judo club. It has been an excellent opportunity to expand my martial arts skills and to make new friends under the excellent tutelage of 5th Dan black belt Ricky Sloan who incorporates a mixture of Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to really flesh out your game. I was also involved in the CCF for several years, specifically the RAF. While in the RAF we learned about the physics and different aspects of flight. We also had opportunities to fly ourselves.

When I leave I believe that I will really miss community feeling the school provides. As you progress through the college and become closer with those in your year it feels like a small community where you can rely on one another.

For those boys entering the college in September or those who enter at a later stage my main piece of advice would be to get involved with school/house activities. It’s a great way to get to know others and it is genuinely just a lot of fun, whether you win or lose.

Tom (Davis’s) – Prefect

When reflecting on my 7 years at Campbell College, at few things stand out. Namely, the great ethos and atmosphere of the school that mixes the traditional values with modern day practices. Thinking back on my experiences at Campbell College, one piece of advice which I would give to new pupils arriving in September is to join in with the plentiful and large variety of activities. Some of my favourite times is the house activities which were particularly good due to the camaraderie and competitiveness between peers. House activities are a great way of meeting new people and trying new things.

Christian (Dobbin’s) – Prefect

One of the best memories I have of Campbell College was playing table tennis with my friends in the sixth form centre last year. Additionally, It was great to wind down with the table tennis club after school on Wednesdays. Another great memory from Campbell was taking part in the CCB 125 play men behind the glass - the performance focused on the first world war and the lives of the Campbellians.

My favourite event would have to be the house competitions as they are a great way to get to know your tutor group and meet others throughout the school year, especially when in year 8. The spring concert and daffodil tea have always been a great experience

During my time at Campbell, I tried several things. I had a great experience when I represented Campbell at an RAF STEM leadership event in Nottingham. I participated in my house competitions and helped Dobbins to win the last drama competition. I have taken part in Cross-country competitions and some competitions with the choir. I represented Campbell College in an International STEM competition with my brother. I took part in the Cyber first courses held at Campbell and Queen’s University. I trained to become a well-being ambassador to help other students manage their mental health. Overall, through Campbell, I’ve been able to try many new, exciting activities and learned valuable life skills.

I’ve had the opportunity to engage with a diverse range of students and teachers in a phenomenal school environment. What I will miss most about Campbell is the sense of community that radiates throughout the school. From chats with teachers to the welcoming attitudes of other pupils in clubs, revision classes and the CCF. Several teachers were a joy to have throughout my years here. Additionally, I’ll miss interacting with the boarders. Sometimes I find you miss the little things, I will miss having a chat with Christine at break time, hearing Mr Mukula’s stories and going for walks with my friends during perfect duty.

Make the most of every opportunity! At Campbell, there are a great variety of clubs and activities to try. Whether you are a movie buff or looking to get your Duke of Edinburgh award, don’t be afraid to give something new a chance! Study hard and always try your best in everything you do! Make sure to have a good balance of study and activities. Good luck, and I wish everyone all the best!

Similar stories

Connor and Reese coaching hockey in our Junior School

A conversation with our 'Gappies' More...

A perspective on life at Campbell, from our Junior Boarders More...

Campbell Prefects 2023

Reflections from our Prefects on their time at Campbell More...

The heart of school life at Campbell More...

A conversation with our Digital Technology students about their experience of the Campbell ICT programme. More...

Most read

As we near completion of Phase1 of the redevelopment of the CCB Sports Buildings, Old Campbellian and Partner at Johnston Houston - Michael Johnston (… More...

A final update from Michael Johnston (Johnston and Houston) and Mark Hanna (Mascott Construction) as they hand over the keys to CCBs state-of-the-art … More...

A strong performance from CCB Swim Team

Congratulations to the CCB Swim team for their performance at the Bath Cup. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech