Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > General News > International Volunteer Day

International Volunteer Day

Thank you to our many volunteers!

We would like to extend a huge thank you to our parents, OCs and Friends of the College for all they do to support us throughout the year. The life of the school is what sets Campbell apart and we are truly greateful for all they ways you give back to the College and our pupils. We asked a few of our experienced volunteers how they get involved and why they enjoy what they do:

Major Andrew Gildea (7417)

Where you might see Andrew: Cadet training, Campbell College Pipes and Drums, College and OC Society events

My name is Andrew Gildea and I’m an Old Campbellian, father of an Old Campbellian and am one of a number of volunteers who are involved in assisting school staff deliver the ‘Cadet Experience’ to members of the Combined Cadet Force at Campbell. Like many other OCs I joined the Cadets in third form and remained involved until I left in sixth form. The CCF was, and still is, an organisation that allows young people to develop their character, their leadership skills as well as improve teamwork and resilience in a safe environment. I remained involved as an adult instructor once I left school and after 30 years, I’m still here - initially as a service helper but in the last 15 years as a Cadet Force Adult Volunteer. While times have changed, as has the uniform, the cadets still provides an opportunity for young people to develop their character both as an individual or as a team member.

I volunteer for a number of reasons, primarily to give current Campbellians a chance to experience an organisation that I enjoyed many years ago. Without volunteers we would not be able to conduct the range of activities that are on offer - this year the boys have won nearly every shooting trophy available in the cadet world in Northern Ireland, won the military skills competition against all CCF NI opposition. It is amazing to see the lads develop as they progress through the syllabus and become young leaders. 

Like a number of OCs I am also involved in the Old Campbellians Council and in recent years have become involved in the Friends of Campbell College Pipe Band. Both organisations enjoy a similar ethos - identifying and delivering opportunities for current Campbellians and future Old Campbellians to enjoy.  

There is a significant time commitment to make all these work - sometimes unsocial hours, sometimes in horrendous weather but those things are temporary inconveniences when you see and hear the enjoyment that the activities have provided.  Today is Volunteer Day - if you can get involved in something that you enjoy and something that will make a difference even to one person, do it. You wont regret it…. Unless its 0400, in a forest, in the rain, blowing a gale and all you have to keep you going is snoring and a desire for a cup of tea!! Even then, by 0600 you will have forgotten that…

Volunteer Day - make a difference

Poppy Dunlop

Parent of Harry Dunlop (11953) and Tom Dunlop (12300)

Where you may have met Poppy: Junior School events, College events, school plays, hockey matches

If you are interested in assisting with future events,we would love to hear from you! You may be interested in our new Friends of Campbell College page in the Groups and Clubs section of the site, created to help us connect. Alternatively, please reach out  to Claire Bunting at: development@campbellcollege.co.uk

Similar stories

Campbell's Quizzers getting ready for some serious competition!

A roller-coaster night of competitive fun tested the skill and knowledge of Campbell's quizzing Community! More...

A celebration for the 1st XV

Congratulations to our 1st XV for becoming the 2024 Danske Bank Subsidiary Shield winners! More...

A strong performance from CCB Swim Team

Congratulations to the CCB Swim team for their performance at the Bath Cup. More...

Well done to the Year 13 Debate Team

Year 13 Debate Team impressed the judges to win the BHSCT Healthcare Debate. More...

A proud team and winners of the U18 Schools' Cup

The Campbell College U18 Volleyball team celebrated a superb win to be crowned champions in the U18 Schools' Cup 2024. More...

Most read

A final update from Michael Johnston (6875), Johnston Houston and Mark Hanna, Mascott Construction as they hand over the keys to CCB's state-of-the-ar… More...

Campbell's Quizzers getting ready for some serious competition!

A roller-coaster night of competitive fun tested the skill and knowledge of Campbell's quizzing Community! More...

The Design Team

Find out more from the team behind Campbell's new state-of-the-art fitness suite More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech