Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > General News > Professional Ice Hockey success for Y14 leaver Mack

Professional Ice Hockey success for Y14 leaver Mack

22 Jun 2022
Written by Claire Bunting
General News
Celebrating his goal with Giants' team mates
Celebrating his goal with Giants' team mates

Year 14 pupil Mack (Davis's) has been playing ice hockey since he was 5 years old. Inspired by his dad's involvement in the sport, he learned the rudiments of the game with the Junior Belfast Giants Club, saying, "It was great to learn the game with other boys my age, we built up strong friendships together". As Mack became more experienced, he played in the leagues, many of the games taking places across the water in Scotland. Fixtures took Mack to Ayrshire, Dundee, Kirkaldy and Aberdeen.

This year, Mack was selected for the professional squad and his training program became more extensive, with training sessions required every morning. Training typically began with an hour in the gym focused on conditioning training and then over to the ice for another 45 or 60 minutes, depending on the match schedule. Mack has had a fantastic year and recently scored his first professional goal (pictured above). The Belfast Giants have had some great success this season winning the league and also the Challenge Cup. 

Mack has been a pupil at Campbell since Kindergarten. Reflecting back on his 15 years here, he spoke fondly of his friends and the many fun moments at school. Stand out memories include the Football Team trip to Manchester and assisting with organizing the Colour Run where he was responsible for considering the health and safety aspects of the event, commenting that, " A lot was involved in the planning and we also had to consider contingencies too. I learned a lot".

Mack is extremely grateful to his teachers who have helped him along the way, especially when his training commitments intensified this year, adding "I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr Fry, Mr Stiles, Mr Oswald, Mr Creighton, Miss Lamont and Mr Spence for helping me get through my coursework this year".

Mack is not sure what lies next in his future as he has received a few offers to play with clubs both in the UK and overseas. I think what is clear is that Mack will spending a lot more time on the ice!

Similar stories

A celebration for the 1st XV

Congratulations to our 1st XV for becoming the 2024 Danske Bank Subsidiary Shield winners! More...

A strong performance from CCB Swim Team

Congratulations to the CCB Swim team for their performance at the Bath Cup. More...

Well done to the Year 13 Debate Team

Year 13 Debate Team impressed the judges to win the BHSCT Healthcare Debate. More...

A proud team and winners of the U18 Schools' Cup

The Campbell College U18 Volleyball team celebrated a superb win to be crowned champions in the U18 Schools' Cup 2024. More...

CCB Football celebrates a strong season

The match reports for the CCB Football Team are legendary. Take a look below for the latest report from Mr Collier deta… More...

Most read

As we near completion of Phase1 of the redevelopment of the CCB Sports Buildings, Old Campbellian and Partner at Johnston Houston - Michael Johnston (… More...

Welcome to the fourth in our series of CCB Player Profiles featuring James, Captain of the CCB 1st XV Rugby Team. Play your part and make a donation t… More...

A strong performance from CCB Swim Team

Congratulations to the CCB Swim team for their performance at the Bath Cup. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech