Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Spotlight > Spotlight on our Prefects

Spotlight on our Prefects

Reflections from our Prefects on their time at Campbell
12 May 2023
Written by Claire Bunting
Spotlight
Campbell Prefects 2023
Campbell Prefects 2023

This week we said goodbye to our Class of 2023 (see our previous post on Leaver's Day here).  A group of this year's Prefects were keen to share their reflections on the time they spent at Campbell. They leave us with their final thoughts below.

Head Prefect

Flynn Longstaff (Dobbin’s)

My 7 years at Campbell have had a profound impact on who I have become. It is a school that has provided me with endless opportunities to develop and grow as an individual.

One of the many things that has made my time at Campbell College so enjoyable is my involvement in the wide range of clubs and sports, such as debating, drama, athletics and volleyball. However, rugby has been one of the highlights of my time at the school. The sport has not only allowed me to develop my physical abilities, but it has also taught me valuable life lessons such as teamwork, leadership, and discipline. As a team, we have enjoyed highs and lows and I couldn’t be prouder of those who I have journeyed with. The strong bonds I have formed with my teammates and coaches, and the camaraderie we share is something that I will cherish for years to come.

One of the most significant aspects of my time at Campbell College has been the friendships I have formed. The school has provided a platform for me to interact with people from diverse backgrounds and it’s something that I will miss most is seeing these familiar faces in the corridor. There is a special sense of brotherhood and connection in Campbell that transcends from pupils to staff and is what creates such a good atmosphere around the school. 

My advice for any new pupils starting or even those currently at school is to take every opportunity that Campbell provides because you might never get a chance to do it again. Also, to savour every moment, I know it’s a cliché but it really does go by in a flash.

As I enter my final stint at Campbell and I only now realise how quickly it has all gone I am incredibly thankful that I got the opportunity to create so many memories in these halls. I'm proud to now call myself a Campbellian for a lifetime.  Ne Obliviscaris.

Deputy Head Prefect

Luke Weatherald (Yates’s)

Campbell will forever have a special place in my heart but as this part of my journey with Campbell comes to an end, I have the opportunity to reflect on the last 7 years. It is hard to know where to begin with some of my favourite memories, but never the less I must try.

I suppose that firstly there are the things that have become mainstays of my time in Campbell.  Within my first few weeks I joined the choir, which has been perhaps the most influential activity on my social life, having met many of my closest friends here and has always been a great way to start our mornings, even though we do occasionally stress Mr. Doherty. My role in the charity committee has always been a very rewarding venture and I am both thankful and proud of what we have been able to do for so many great causes.

The last year has really shown me that part of the journey is the end and arguably the best part of the journey. Serving as Deputy Head Prefect has been an absolute privilege and I hope that I have been able to give a meaningful contribution to the school through this role. Due to covid my first school trip was just this year when we went to Oxbridge, which was a great experience to learn about both these cities and experience this with my peers.  A large part of my time in Year 14 was spent organising this year’s formal which was at times stressful but was all made worthwhile when seeing how much everyone enjoyed the evening and of course when I was crowned 'Formal King'. 

When reflecting, there are so many other happy memories that come back to me such as winning the Archery Schools’ Cup or even some memories from my junior years like the Colour Run.  However, I think what I will miss most are the little things, which you come to take for granted over the years, the laughs you share around the lunch table, the opportunity to spend time on such a wonderful site or even just seeing a familiar face around the corridors. I suppose my advice to Campbellians of the present and future, is simply to not take this place for granted, take as many opportunities as possible and by doing so you will have a truly unique and unforgettable experience at Campbell College.

Senior Prefects

Robert Horner (Yates’s)

My time at Campbell has been amazing. I will soon miss being part of the daily life of the college, which has so much to offer. Some of my best memories with my peers have been during my time in the music department since Year 8. Being a part of the choir since then has allowed me to participate in various special college events and make lifelong friends.

Another great memory I have of the college is the Berlin trip with the German class, where we got to develop our culture and language understanding and have a bit of fun with friends and the teachers. This trip and the effort put into organising it is a great example of how much the teachers care for their students and aspire for us to reach our full potential - something I am grateful for.

One piece of advice that I wish I took on board more in my younger years at Campbell is to get involved and step out of your comfort zone, whether that be in house events or by challenging yourself more in your studies. Your time will fly in, so make the most of it!

Angus Pollock (Alden’s)

When I entered Campbell on my first day in Year 8, I never expected to be playing the bagpipes as the pipe major of the school band, or to have visited Berlin, France and Belgium. These unique experiences are only offered at Campbell. As well as the numerous sporting, musical and creative opportunities offered at Campbell, the school has an encouraging and positive atmosphere, with the support of both my teachers and friends shaping me into the person I am today. My teachers are also willing to do their utmost to support me academically, but are also always happy to talk, making me feel welcome in every class. My main commitment outside of the classroom has been to the school pipe band. The chance to play the bagpipes and drums as a group of students can be found nowhere else in Northern Ireland. Through the band, I have been able to play at tattoos, concerts, memorials and even in other countries. Through playing together as a group, and leading the band in my final year of school, I have felt my confidence grow and have been able to form connections with various people. As my time at Campbell comes to an end, I look back at all the experiences I have had, and it makes me feel very grateful for the last seven years I have spent in the school. The skills I have developed both academically and in my extra-curricular activities through the support I have received in Campbell, will stay with me as I leave school for university, and further in the future.

Leo Gray (Dobbin’s)

In my opinion if you arrive at school at 8.40, keep to yourself and leave at 3.30 you miss out on what Campbell is about. It is the opportunities they give you whether it is on the sports field, in the classroom, in the drama studio or at house events. Get involved in as much as possible as I wish I could have done more.

Robbie Holmes (Dobbin’s)

I fondly remember my first day here at Campbell, I remember the anticipation and the anxiety of what was to come. I will forever look back on the time I’ve had here, I have embodied Campbell into who I am today; friendship, community and brotherhood, that’s the Campbell way and will continue to be.

I’ve made so many friends and memories, ones that will last a lifetime. I will always fondly remember the Schools' Cup Final at Kingspan Stadium, I will never forget the whole school cheering, a group of individuals that have become a family, through one common cause. Campbell College. I will be forever be grateful of the opportunity to implement Mental Health provisions across the school, with the establishment of the “Wellbeing Ambassadors”. I will forever appreciate the hard-work and determination that the school put in to make a filled A3 sheet into real action.

I will never forget my time here at Campbell, I will forever be appreciative to every single teacher that has helped me become the man I’ve become, especially my tutor Mr. Collier. The memories I have made will always stay with me, and I will forever be a Campbellian.

Prefects

Joshua Collier (Price’s)

I joined the College at 14 in 4th year in 2019 to start studying for my GCSEs. Throughout my time at the College, I have really enjoyed my time in the welcoming community that it is, quickly making new friends from a more diverse range of backgrounds and experiences than you would find at any other school in Northern Ireland.   I have a lot of respect for the College because of how it focuses on providing a place where boys can become men who are ready to go into the world and create an adventure for themselves.  

My biggest piece of advice for anyone starting at the College would be that they should do what I did and take advantage of all the opportunities that they are given there, especially the ones that you wouldn’t get anywhere else, like the famous pipe band or the outstanding Combined Cadet Force on offer.

I hope you enjoy your time there, but remember, it will go by in a flash, time flies when you are having fun.

Harun Nuhu-Yakubu (School), Nigeria

Although joining Campbell in Lower Sixth, I immediately felt like I was at home as I was welcomed by everyone with open arms. It very quickly felt exciting to go to school rather than dreading the thought of going to school in the mornings as you felt like the people round you were a sort of family. My main advice to younger students would be to embrace every moment as it does not last forever and to also get your hands on any extracurricular activities or house events as it is from those you feel the real Campbell spirit.

Alan (School), Uganda

Reflecting on my experience at Campbell College from year 11 to year 14, I can confidently say that being a Campbellian has been a truly enriching journey. One aspect that I particularly enjoyed was the school's strong focus on academics. The teachers' dedication and expertise fostered a stimulating learning environment, encouraging me to push my boundaries and achieve my full potential. Alongside the academic rigor, the friendly atmosphere at Campbell made it a welcoming and inclusive place. Interacting with classmates and forming lasting friendships was a highlight of my time there. As for advice to younger students starting in September, I would emphasise the importance of hard work and dedication. You truly get out what you put in. If you commit to putting in the effort and strive for excellence, the rewards will follow. However, if you approach your studies without putting in the necessary work, you will likely be left disappointed. One of my favorite moments at Campbell was playing football under Mr. Collier's guidance. The camaraderie and sense of achievement on the field were unforgettable. Additionally, going on the football trip to Valencia provided an opportunity to explore a new culture while creating cherished memories. Lastly, being recognized as the Players’ Player of the Year 2021 and serving as the Vice-Captain of the team brought a great sense of accomplishment and pride.

Ne obliviscaris

Similar stories

Connor and Reese coaching hockey in our Junior School

A conversation with our 'Gappies' More...

A perspective on life at Campbell, from our Junior Boarders More...

The heart of school life at Campbell More...

A conversation with our Digital Technology students about their experience of the Campbell ICT programme. More...

Conservation work in partnership with The Woodland Trust, Belfast City Council and Belfast Hills Partnership More...

Most read

A final update from Michael Johnston (6875), Johnston Houston and Mark Hanna, Mascott Construction as they hand over the keys to CCB's state-of-the-ar… More...

A strong performance from CCB Swim Team

Congratulations to the CCB Swim team for their performance at the Bath Cup. More...

Campbell's Quizzers getting ready for some serious competition!

A roller-coaster night of competitive fun tested the skill and knowledge of Campbell's quizzing Community! More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech